Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Editors’ Picks: The Watches We Wish We Could Wear

If you ask me, the thing that makes Rolex what it is, more than anything else, is the sheer high level of quality in fit and finish in everything they do. You may not care for a Leopard Daytona (I sure don’t) but to hold one in your hands is to understand that no matter what you may think of any given modern Rolex from a style standpoint, there is no gainsaying the flawless execution of, well, everything. Which brings me to the Rainbow Daytona. I’m not ordinarily inclined towards gem-set watches myself, although well done ones are truly admirable achievements of a very difficult craft. But when I look at the Rainbow Daytona, and handle it, and yes, try it on, the perfection it achieves in everything from setting quality to color matching in the stones is so good, I want very much, a hundred grand notwithstanding, to make it least a part-time presence in my life. Now, I think it is important, as Detective Harry Callahan once said, for a man to know his limitations and while I feel I can definitely get away with a 36mm yellow gold Day-Date, the Rainbow Daytona is for this aging watch-nerd, A Watch Too Far. I could never wear it with any conviction, but I wish I could, because it is a darned – no ma’m, a damned fine wristwatch.

$96,900; rolex.com



from Best Watches For Men https://ift.tt/2Ock2Fv